The State Department revealed on Thursday that a third US citizen was reported missing after traveling to Ukraine, a day after two former US service members were reportedly captured by Russian forces.
The third US citizen has traveled to Ukraine in recent weeks and is believed to have done so to “take up arms”, State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or through the app.
Regarding the two other missing Americans, who were allegedly captured while fighting alongside Ukrainian forces, Price said the United States was in contact with Ukrainian authorities and the International Red Cross to try to find out the fate. men.
Price said the United States had not contacted Russia about the missing Americans. “If we believe that such outreach through our embassy in Moscow or otherwise would be productive in terms of uncovering more information about the fate of these people, we will not hesitate to do so,” he said. .
The two Americans were believed to have been captured in action near Kharkiv last week, the Telegraph first reported.
The mother of one of the missing told the British media that she was in contact with the US Embassy in Kyiv, who “assured me that they were doing everything they could to find him and they were looking for him alive, not dead”.
On Wednesday, John Kirby, spokesman for the National Security Council, told reporters he could not confirm the reports. But if they turn out to be correct, “we will do everything we can to recover them”.
Read more: Putin still seeks to capture all of Ukraine, says senior Pentagon official