After Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s provocative statement about the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, the Palace launched efforts to prevent the couple from “exploiting” the events.
The palace ‘guards’ will arrest any Harry and Meghan Netflix crew if they try to film royal events at the Platinum Jubilee inside.
Despite a ban from the Palace balcony for Trooping the Colour, the couple could still appear on another day.
A team has been tasked with stopping any attempt by the filmmakers to ‘exploit’ the streaming giant’s $135million deal with the couple during the Queen’s four-day celebrations.
Harry, 37, and Meghan, 40, announced on Friday that they would be attending with their children – minutes after the Queen barred them from the palace balcony for the Trooping the Color ceremony.
However, insiders believe the pair could still appear in front of the public at the Palace – after Sunday’s final.
It comes as exclusive footage showed a topless Harry changing his shirt after playing polo in scorching heat in Santa Barbara, California on Friday – which was also his son Archie’s third birthday.
A well-placed source said: “While the family are delighted that Harry and Meghan are arriving, there is a real fear of tension, especially on any Netflix team. It is feared that the tension could explode if the Netflix team comes to the UK and tries to exploit its opportunities.
“The concern is that they will push and try to gain access to areas of Jubilee celebration events where they can film Harry and Meghan and their children.
“Even if they accept that their Netflix team cannot travel to Buckingham Palace to film, they could cause problems – and at the very least cause a major distraction.
“Senior courtiers believe Netflix will see this as a great opportunity to leverage their mega-millions deal with the couple.
“So a team of palace aides will be on standby to keep a very close eye on the crew and act as watchmen if necessary.”
After months of indecision, the Sussexes announced on Friday that they would attend the Jubilee with Archie and his 11-month-old daughter Lilibet, whom the Queen has never met.
It came after Buckingham Palace issued a statement saying the Queen would limit those appearing on the Trooping the Color balcony on Thursday June 2 to “members of the Royal Family”.
It means no invites for Harry and Meghan, who left their royal duties for a life in the US in 2020, or Prince Andrew, 62, who was ousted amid a long-running civil lawsuit over sexual abuse .
However, sources say Harry and Meghan could still have a balcony appearance if an impromptu gathering takes place after the official Jubilee Pageant finale on Sunday June 5.
The sun can also reveal that Prince Charles, 73, had words of encouragement with his youngest son – and told him that he and Meghan should be at the celebrations.
A source said: ‘The Queen will have thought very carefully about the scheduling and the announcement.
“The celebrations are to mark her 70 years of service, so it seemed only right that the balcony appearance be limited to those currently serving the Queen.
“And while the timing of Harry and Meghan’s statement raised some eyebrows, it also came after some discussion between Charles and his son.”
“The Prince of Wales told Harry, in an encouraging way, that he thought they should be there to honor the Queen.”
The Platinum Jubilee kicks off with the Trooping the Color ceremony, pointed to by aides as a potential Netflix flashpoint.
There are also concerns that the crew will follow them to St Paul’s Cathedral the next day and seek access to the Epsom Derby on Saturday.
Courtiers have made it clear that Netflix cameras will not be allowed access to royal properties such as Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.
But the crew could mingle with the public and observe the Sussexes in the VIP areas at public events.
Up to 30 crew members followed them to the Invictus Games for injured service members in the Netherlands last month.
Harry and Meghan also paid an unannounced visit to the Queen in Windsor – with some royal experts saying they only did so to please Netflix producers.
The pair signed a deal with the streaming giant in September 2020 to make documentaries and factual content.
This article originally appeared on The Sun and is reproduced here with permission
Originally published as Palace to stop Harry and Meghan’s Netflix team filming the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee