Kell Brook announces retirement from boxing: ‘There’s no more dark feeling’

Kell Brook hangs up the gloves (Photo: Getty Images)

Kell Brook has confirmed his retirement from boxing, making his momentous victory over Amir Khan in February his last professional fight.

The 36-year-old has enjoyed a superb career, which has seen him win the IBF world welterweight title and make three strap defenses.

The victory over Shawn Porter in California to claim the world title was the best of his career, as he was on course to hold a 36-0 record in 2016.

The Sheffield fighter ended up losing three fights, all in elite-level competition as he was stopped by Gennady Golovkin, Errol Spence and Terence Crawford, but a win over Khan in their grudge match meant he walked out on a high and with a record of 40 -3.

“I had a long talk with my family and my parents, and it’s over for me. I’m never going to box again,’ Brook told the Sunday Telegraph.

“It’s kind of emotional to say that out loud. My mum [Julie] is relieved. I think everyone around me is happy. The truth is, boxing is a very, very tough and dangerous sport, in which you can legally be killed in the ring, and I’m done now with all my faculties intact.

The fight with Khan had been in the pipeline for years, and although it came with both men comfortably past their best, the victory was exactly what Brook needed to end his career.

“I needed the fight against Khan, I needed to settle the grudge, the feud,” he said. “There’s no dark feeling in me now, I think when you’ve been in the ring with someone, it passes, it leaves you.

AMIR KHAN v KELL BROOK 19-2-2022 AO ARENA, MANCHESTER PIC LAWRENCE LUSTIG AMIR KHAN v KELL BROOK

Khan survived until round six before being stopped by Brook (Picture: LAWRENCE LUSTIG)

“Me and Amir said words that were hateful in construction, but that’s what happens in boxing. But I respect him after the fight. He showed real heart in that.

Brook hasn’t ruled out fighting again after beating Khan, with another all-British affair with Chris Eubank Jr mooted, but he wasn’t tempted to return to the ring.

AFTER : Tyson Fury insists he’s retired from boxing despite Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk insisting he’ll be back

MORE: Tyson Fury to hold world title vacancy talks this week as WBC seeks clarification on boxing retirement

For more stories like this, check out our sports page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook,
Twitter and Instagram.

General sports

Leave a Comment