F1 2022: Lewis Hamilton threatens to boycott Miami Grand Prix over F1 jewelry ban

Lewis Hamilton made a bold threat ahead of the Miami Grand Prix as he clearly disapproved of the F1 ban.

Lewis Hamilton is not a fan of the jewelery ban in Formula 1.

This is evident from his antics ahead of the Miami Grand Prix, which kicks off on Monday morning (AEST).

Race director Niels Wittich wrote in his guidelines that the driver’s jewelry and underwear must be checked to ensure they meet FIA flame retardant safety standards.

Watch all the practice, qualifying and races of the 2022 FIA Formula 1 World Championship™ live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try free for 14 days >

In his race notes, Wittich said: “Metallic objects, such as jewelry, in contact with the skin may reduce protection against heat transmission and thus increase the risk of burns in the event of a fire.”

The seven-time world champion let his fashion do the talking as he strolled through the Miami paddock wearing a plunging blue outfit that showed off his chest tattoos and several silver and pearl necklaces.

Hamilton expressed his contempt for F1’s bling ban at the press conference, where he showed up wearing three watches, a bracelet, eight rings, four necklaces, two earrings and a stud. nose.

He said he would need to “cut off my ears” to remove his earrings, adding that he wore three watches as they were set to three different time zones.

“I couldn’t put on jewelry anymore,” Hamilton said.

The 37-year-old said he disagreed with F1’s ban on drivers wearing jewelery during races and revealed he had some secret piercings he couldn’t remove.

“I really don’t know,” he said.

“I can’t remove at least two. One I can’t really explain where it is. But what I can say is that it’s platinum that I have, so it’s not magnetic. This has never been a security issue in the past.

“I’ve had so many MRI scans, for example, and I don’t need to take my turntables off.”

Hamilton even jokingly threatened that he would be prepared to sit out the race if he was banned from the Grand Prix for his jewellery.

“If they arrest me, so be it,” he said.

“We have spare drivers so we are ready and prepared for the weekend. There’s a lot to do in this town, so I’ll be fine either way!”

After making his threat, Hamilton removed most of his jewelry for practice, but he was allowed to keep his nose stud, thanks to an exemption that would be valid for two races.

Drivers were reminded of F1’s ban on bling at last month’s Australian Grand Prix, but Hamilton believes the action could create an “unnecessary spat”.

“It’s almost like a step backwards, if you think about the milestones we’re taking as a sport and the biggest issues and causes that we need to focus on,” he said.

“I think we’ve made such great strides as a sport…it’s such a small thing.”

Hamilton confirmed he had contacted new FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem over the jewelry ban.

“It’s about individuality and being who you are,” said the Briton.

“I sent (bin Sulayem) a message to reassure him that I want to be an ally. I don’t want to fight you over this. It’s very, very stupid.

Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel said the jewelry ban appeared to be aimed specifically at Hamilton.

“Probably at this point it’s more of a personal thing and I kind of feel targeted at Lewis,” he said.

Mercedes showed significant improvement in Miami Grand Prix testing. Hamilton set the fourth-fastest lap while teammate George Russell topped the timesheets heading into qualifying.

Originally published as Lewis Hamilton threatened to boycott Miami Grand Prix over F1 jewelery ban

Leave a Comment